Rules & Regulations
The following basic rules are to be followed, having been established in the best interest of users and Student Life Center facilities. Any additional rules posted in the building or directed by staff will be enforced. Use of facilities is a privilege. Individuals not cooperating with established policies will be asked to leave and may have their privileges revoked. Those persons found misusing their ID card or key tag by loaning (considered theft of services), falsifying or altering in any way, or any unauthorized use, are subject to disciplinary action or prosecution as well as a misuse fee.
Alcoholic beverages/tobacco products
Cereal malt and alcoholic beverages, smoking, and tobacco products are prohibited in this facility at all times. Violators are subject to disciplinary action.
Service dogs only are allowed inside facilities.
The definition of a dependent is someone who receives their support from the ID holder and is claimed as a dependent on the ID holder's tax return. ONLY dependents under 14 years of age will be admitted to the facilities at no charge and must be accompanied and directly supervised by their cardholding parent. An adult member may sponsor a total of three individuals, whether dependents and/or guests. Note: A parent bringing dependents to use facilities must present a facility use key tag which identifies them self -- not their spouse. Dependents who are 14 years of age or older may be sponsored by their cardholding parent to pay guest fees, remembering that all guests must remain in the company of their sponsoring host while using facilities. If dependents who are 14-23 years of age wish to use facilities without parental supervision, the cardholding parent must purchase memberships for those dependents. Dependent members may not bring in siblings under the age of 14.
Children (Under 14 years of age)
This policy is for the safety of children and all participants, to eliminate improper use and damage of equipment, and to allow for easier and more consistent supervision. Children are not allowed anywhere on the second floor except being carried in a backpack on the track. Strollers are not allowed on the running track. Parents with children in backpacks, child carriers, or strollers are allowed use of the lobby area and gymnasium only but not in the main cardio/weight area of the building or any equipment on the second floor track area. Children are not allowed in exercise sessions. Children in baby carriers of any type, as well as any child under the age of 14, are not allowed in or around any type of weight training equipment (machines or free weights).
Guest fees will apply to those 14 years and older. All guests will sign in at the front desk. A student or facility use member must be "host" to the guest(s). An adult member may host a total of three individuals, whether dependents and/or guests. Guests are required to remain in the company of their host while using facilities. Dependents with their own facility membership are limited to one guest who must be 14 years of age or older. Guest passes may be purchased at the control center of the Student Life Center for $5 per person per day. Guest pass fees include sales tax. General Fitness members may not bring a guest.
Reservations for racquetball and basketball court can be made one day in advance in person at the control center.
Designated use courts
Basketball courts (volleyball, indoor soccer, basketball) will be set up according to designated use schedule.
Dunking and/or hanging from basketball rims is not allowed. Violators will be asked to leave the building and will be placed on report.
Eating and drinking are restricted to the lobby area. Non-spill plastic squeeze bottles up to 32 ounces which are topped and contain water only are permitted in workout areas unless approved by Recreational Services Coordinator. No cans, cups, jugs, coolers, or glass containers are allowed.
All Recreational Services participants must wear athletic, nonmarking footwear. Black-soled running shoes are allowed on the basketball court and require a court shoe. For better traction, we recommend that users carry in their workout shoes. Open-toed shoes or sandals are not permitted in the weight/fitness area
There will be no organized activities in the facilities during Student Life Center use times except those sponsored by and/or approved by Student Life Center personnel. This includes athletic teams, academic classes, instructional activities, sport clubs, camps, and parties. Special arrangements can be made through the Student Life Center office.
Individuals are responsible for their personal belongings. The Student Life Center Staff will not store or monitor articles for you.
If you have a physical limitation and need help using any of our facilities, please contact our staff for assistance.
Posted rules and verbal instructions issued by supervisory personnel will be strictly followed.
No area or facility will be used for private gain, including but not limited to private lessons or training of individuals or groups.
Problems or concerns
If you have a problem or concern, please contact a staff member for assistance.
Bicycles, roller blades, hardballs, archery, and martial arts weapons are prohibited in the Student Life Center. Sparring, grappling, activities that include hitting, striking, pushing, or horseplay is also prohibited and may result in disciplinary action. Pets are not allowed in Student Life Center facilities with the except of service dogs.
Shirts with sleeves must be worn in all areas. Penny jerseys are available at the control center for those needed to distinguish teams for pickup basketball games or other team sports.
Signs or posters will not be posted without approval of the administrative staff by the Student Life Office.
Student Life Center programs take priority over free-time, drop-in recreation. After the area is cleared of equipment and participants, open recreation may begin. Sponsored programs include intramurals, exercise sessions, clinics, and special events.
Good sportsmanship is expected. Fighting, as well as loud, abusive or profane language, will not be tolerated.
Unsportsmanlike conduct and ejection policy
If a participant or spectator in a Student Life Center program or facility is ejected from any facility (indoor or outdoor), program, contest, or activity, he or she is immediately ineligible for further access or competition in any Student Life Center program or facility until he or she is cleared by the Recreation Center Coordinator or his or her designee responsible for the program in which the unsportsmanlike conduct or ejection occurred. It is the participant's responsibility to schedule an appointment with the Recreation Center Coordinator to review his or her behavior and subsequent eligibility in any Recreational programs or facility. Participant suspensions are effective after the meetings with the Recreation Center Coordinator or his or her designee; i.e., no self-imposed penalties. Recreation Center Coordinator decisions may be appealed to the Assistant Director of College Advancement for Student Life and Assistant Director’s decisions to the Recreation Advisory Council whose decision is final. Suspensions do remain in force during the appeal process. Any participant or spectator who commits, incites, or aids others in committing any of the following acts of unsportsmanlike or misconduct shall be subject to disciplinary procedures:
- Any participant entering/using a facility illegally, using an assumed name or using a Kansas State University photo ID card illegally may be declared ineligible from all Student Life Center programs and/or facilities for a period of at least seven days, as well as possible ID card policy penalties. University breaks and holidays will count as part of the suspension.
- If a participant or spectator hits, strikes, or pushes a Student Life Center staff employee (student or professional): indefinite suspension from Student Life Center programs and/or facilities. Participant or spectator may petition for reinstatement to the Assistant Director of College Advancement for Student Life after a minimum of one calendar year.
- Hitting or striking another participant or spectator: indefinite suspension from Student Life Center programs and/or facilities for a minimum of one semester.
- Threatening behavior (verbal or physical) toward a Student Life Center staff employee (student or professional): indefinite suspension from Student Life Center programs and/or facilities for a minimum of two months.
- Threatening behavior (verbal or physical) toward another participant or spectator: indefinite suspension from Student Life Center programs and/or facilities for a minimum of one month.
- Verbally abusing a Student Life Center employee (student or professional), participant, user, guest, or member: indefinite suspension from Student Life Center programs and/or facilities for a minimum of one month.
- Actions which could potentially cause equipment or facility damage (including spitting and snotting, dunking or hanging on rims) and/or personal injury: indefinite suspension from Student Life Center programs and/or facilities for a minimum of one week.
- Participants and spectators are expected to be cooperative and honest when asked for identification and assistance in identifying individuals who may be involved in incidents. Failure to do so may result in individual and/or team penalties, as well as further suspensions.
- Personal conduct situations that are not covered by the previous rulings will be dealt with in an appropriate manner by the Recreation Center Coordinator or Assistant Director of College Advancement for Student Life responsible for the program in which the unsportsmanlike conduct and/or ejection occurred or his/her designee.
Spotters are required for heavy lifts. Weights and other equipment are not to be rearranged or removed from the area. Users should return equipment to its proper storage area. Collars are required on all bars when lifting. Open-toed shoes or sandals are not permitted in the weight/fitness area. Violators will be asked to leave the building and placed on report. Weight room assistants are available.
Building and Field Reservations
There will be no organized activities except those sponsored by Student Life Center or Thaemert Field.