About Cats' Corner
Cats' Corner Initiative is a collaborative effort among students, faculty, staff, and community focused on promoting food security and professional success for students at K-State. This initiative aims to provide direct food access through an on-campus food pantry, in addition to professional clothing and education for the success of our students. Cats' Corner will be accessible to all K-State students regardless of which campus they attend.
Cats' Corner Mission
To providing access to food, hygiene, and professional clothing needed for academic and professional success.
Cats' Corner Vision
Cats' Corner vision is to create a community of K-State students that no longer has to make a choice between basic needs and education.
1. Respect - Honor the dignity and basic human rights of each individual
2. Cultural Sensitivity - Recognize and integrate cultural difference, values, and attitudes
3. Solidarity - Every student is a Wildcat, no student will stand alone in their time of need.
4. We believe access to nutritious food is a basic human right.
5. We collaborate to effect change and support student success.
6. We practice good stewardship of knowledge and resources.
Evidence of Need
In the Campus Climate Assessment Project, 39.4% of the students who reported financial hardship indicated they had difficulty affording food, and this finding has been supported through alternative quantitative and qualitative data collected by various campus entities. In a Financial Stress study conducted by the Office of Student Life, 14% of student respondents indicated they did not have enough money to meet their basic necessities. Furthermore, 51% indicated that didn't have enough money for groceries at least once in the three preceding months.