The mission of the K-State Polytechnic Professional Pilot Program is to provide future aviation leaders a quality aviation education to prepare them for careers as aviation professionals.
The program follows a holistic approach to preparing our students for careers as aviation professionals. In order to be good leaders in our profession, graduates must be well-rounded individuals who are team players.
The goal of the program is to produce highly educated and skilled graduates who are prepared to immediately succeed in higher education, air carrier, corporate, military or instructional environments.
The purpose of the program is to provide students learning-centered experiences in an environment which will stimulate excellence and foster in them a commitment to discovery and life-long learning.
The intent of the program is to produce graduates who:
- Possess the technical, interpersonal skills and appropriate flight ratings as described to us by our external constituencies.
- Demonstrate high ethical standards.
- Instill in graduates an exceptional safety culture.
- Will work effectively as members of a team.
- Possess the problem solving and critical thinking skills that will allow them to employ new technologies.
- Will be leaders of the aviation community
Professional Pilot Graduates two to five years after graduation should successfully:
- Apply their technical and interpersonal skills in air carrier, corporate, military or educational positions.
- Demonstrate their ability to communicate orally and in writing.
- Work effectively as team members.
- Continue to develop professionally and seek positions of increased responsibility.
- Demonstrate a professional work ethic and exceed industry standards in flight proficiency.
Student Learning Outcomes
At Graduation students will be able to:
- Demonstrate the ability to work on diverse multi-disciplinary teams. (Diversity)
- Demonstrate a global perspective on sustainable aviation business practices. (Knowledge)
- Choose ethical courses of action within the operational environment. (Professional integrity)
- Demonstrate a lifelong commitment to personal excellence through service and continuing education. (Knowledge)
- Appraise unsafe operational conditions within the aviation environment. (Professional Integrity)
- Evaluate the effectiveness of oral and written communication skills. (Communications)
- Creatively solve technical problems related to the aviation workplace using math and science. (This SLO is degree option and/or certificate specific; assessment of this SLO is outlined in the abbreviated assessment plan for each option/certificate available at the department level; the abbreviated plan is only for this SLO). (Critical thinking)