1. K-State home
  2. »Kansas State Polytechnic
  3. »Student Accommodation Services
  4. »Disability Support

Kansas State Polytechnic

Student Accommodation Services

Kansas State Polytechnic students with disabilities requesting accommodations and services are asked to register with the Academic and Student Services Office as soon as possible in order to start the process of requesting accommodations and services for their classroom and testing needs.

To register, a student completes an Application Packet,  meets with the Academic and Student Services, and provides disability documentation, along with a completed Accommodation Letter Request Form. (The request for Accommodation form must be completed and submitted each semester.)

Although the type of disability documentation needed will be discussed during the initial meeting, any documentation information, such as IEP/504 plans, recent evaluations, letters from doctors, hospital reports, etc. that can be provided prior to the first meeting may be helpful. To assist professionals in providing appropriate documentation to support a student's request for services and accommodations, K-State has developed the following disability verification form: Disability Verification Form

The Academic and Student Services Office will determine eligibility and reasonable accommodations, case-by-case, based on the information provided, that may include, but is not limited to:

  • A student's description of need (giving consideration to how the disability impacts the student in the following areas):
    • Communication
    • Physical environment
    • Laboratories
    • Classroom requirements
    • Group projects
    • Reading and writing
    • Use of technology
    • Online environment
    • Campus programs
  • Records of past accommodations and services from another college, high school, or accommodations granted for state, or national standardized tests (such as ACT)
  • Formal psychological or medical evaluation reports
  • Letter from health, education, or other service providers
  • Documentation from governmental agencies (such as Social Security and Veteran Affairs)

The Academic and Student Services Office will work collaboratively with students, faculty, and other departmental staff to coordinate reasonable accommodations on an individual basis. Personal disability information is not denoted on academic transcripts and should not be shared with others without the student's permission. There are limited circumstances when information may be shared on a need-to-know basis.

These guidelines are for Kansas State University Polytechnic Campus. Documentation policies of other institutions or agencies may be different.

For additional information, please contact the Kansas State Polytechnic Academic and Student Services Office at 785-826-2674.