1. K-State home
  2. »Kansas State Polytechnic
  3. »Student Accommodation Services
  4. »Disability Documentation

Kansas State Polytechnic

Disability Documentation

Documentation of a Physical Disability

Students with physical disabilities are asked to provide documentation by an appropriate, qualified professional.

Documentation of a Learning Disability

Incoming students with learning disabilities who were identified in a public school may have records of their disability sent to the Student Service Office. Documentation must be current, preferably within the past three years. This information should include a complete record of all the testing administered by school professionals.

A signed statement from an appropriate professional serves to verify that a student has a disability. However, more specific information about the student's academic strengths and weaknesses will help our staff determine what accommodations are best suited to each student's needs.

Documentation of an Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder

For consideration of reasonable and appropriate accommodations, students requesting services must provide current (less than three years old) documentation of the condition. Documentation should be provided by a qualified professional (e.g., clinical psychologist or medical doctor.)

Documentation should provide information regarding the onset, longevity and severity of the symptoms, as well as specifics describing the past and present effects of AD/HD on educational functioning. Therefore, individualized assessments of current cognitive processing and educational achievement are recommended. Appropriate services will be determined from the specific information provided. Relevant test scores may include Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scales, Woodcock-Johnson Achievement Test, and Copeland Symptom Checklist for Adult ADD.

Documentation of Psychiatric/Psychological Disabilities

A diagnosis by a licensed mental health professional including licensed clinical social workers (LCSW), licensed professional counselors (LPC), psychologists, psychiatrists or neurologists is required. The diagnostician should be an impartial individual who is not a family member of the student.

Students without Documentation

Some students contact our office who have not been tested for a learning disability and/or attention deficit disorder, but suspect that they may have one. This is more common for nontraditional, returning students. Unfortunately, Kansas State University does not have the resources to provide the necessary testing. We can, however, refer students to a licensed psychologist who is qualified to conduct a diagnostic evaluation. The cost of such an evaluation ranges between $350.00 and $800.00. Insurance companies sometimes pay for testing, but often they do not. Students who are unable to pay for an evaluation and who suspect that they have a learning disability or an attention deficit disorder should contact the Academic & Student Services Office. In some cases, local service agencies can provide financial help to students.

Document Guidelines

Students requesting accommodations and services are required to provide disability documentation.

Types of documentation

Although the type of disability documentation needed will be discussed during the initial meeting, any information that can be provided prior to the first meeting may be helpful, such as:

  • IEP/504 plans
  • recent evaluations
  • letters from doctors
  • hospital reports
  • Disability Verification Form

Submitting documentation

Documentation can be submitted in the following ways:

  • drop it off
  • mail it in
  • email it
  • or fax it

Personal disability information is not denoted on academic transcripts and should not be shared with others without the student’s permission. There are limited circumstances when information may be shared on a need-to-know basis.

These guidelines are for Kansas State University. Documentation policies of other institutions or agencies may be different.