The Office of Student Life coordinates resources and mobilizes services to respond to the needs of students in crisis.
Concerned about a student?
Are you concerned about the health, behavior, or welfare of a Kansas State Polytechnic student? The Office of Student Life can reach out to them to help them get the assistance they need. Just call OSL at 785-826-2610, or use the Student of Concern reporting form.
CIRT: Critical Incident Response Team
The Office of Student Life is also responsible for activation and coordination of the Critical Incidence Respose Team (CIRT).
The Kansas State University Critical Incident Response Team (CIRT) assesses and coordinates the response to significant campus situations and events on the Manhattan campus. The CIRT assists the community and its members to return to a more normal state of functioning and suggests future preventative measures.
These events may include:
- Student death or significant trauma
- Serious student situations involving medical or psychological concerns
- Campus threats or emergencies that directly affect the well-being of students and the campus community
Issues of inappropriate student conduct are referred to the Office of Student Life and the Student Judicial Program.
CIRT reports to the Associate Dean of Student Life.
Critical Incident Management Method of Operation
- The Associate Dean of Students, Office of Student Life (OSL), or Kansas State Polytechnic Security Office receives a report of a crisis involving a Polytechnic campus student. Faculty and staff may also use the OSL Student of Concern reporting system to notify the OSL of any non-immediate concerns about students.
- The CIRT chair is notified by the Associate Dean of Students or by Polytechnic campus Security. The CIRT chair gathers necessary information on the incident, assesses the situation, and contacts CIRT members.
- The CIRT members evaluate the incident, gather additional information, plan a response, assure that appropriate services are provided, and contact the appropriate offices, personnel, and others according to the protocols. The CIRT works in conjunction with Media Relations and the Associate Dean of Students to coordinate any media contact regarding the crisis.
- If the situation warrants, additional support for the family may be provided and a university liaison designated.
- Post-event procedures. The CIRT members meet to debrief and plan any appropriate follow-up, and to assess the procedures followed.
CIRT members meet regularly to discuss student referrals and situations, to share information, to engage in training, and to debrief events and situations.
CIRT is chaired by the Assistant Director of College Advancement for Student Life. Other core CIRT members include representatives from the Kansas State Polytechnic Dean’s Office, Counseling Services, Polytechnic campus security, Public Relations Coordinator and the University Attorney. A larger group of response personnel from departments and units across campus collaborate with CIRT, as requested.
CIRT members, as administrative agents in an educational institution, adhere to the laws and standards governing the disclosure of information to third parties both within and external to the University. Such information is disclosed only on an administrative need-to-know basis and only according to the relevant statutes that govern such disclosure.